The YouTube baker fighting back against deadly “craft hacks”

A warning in the description of each 5-minute “craft” upload reads: “The following video may show activity performed by our representatives within [sic] Environment – Please use judgment, care and precautions if you plan to repeat.”

Wilkins said TheSoul Publishing has a “quality assurance” team that reviews each video throughout its production, and “we adhere to the policies of the platforms on which our videos appear.” He added: “In addition, on a daily basis, we monitor and collect feedback from fans and partners, and make the necessary changes and improvements.”


On September 5, 2019, a Chinese teenager died after trying to copy a viral hack video. The video, uploaded by cooking influencer, Mrs. Yes, taught viewers how to pop popcorn inside a soda can placed over an alcohol lamp. The family of a 14-year-old girl identified only as Zhizhi said that she and her 12-year-old friend Xiaoyu were trying to follow video instructions when the canister exploded. Both girls sustained severe burns, and Matt Zhezhe from her injuries.

Ms Yeah, whose real name is Zhou Xiao Hui, paid an undisclosed amount of compensation to the families, but denied that the girls were copying her video, reportedly heating alcohol directly inside two cans. “I only used one tin can and an alcohol lamp, which is much safer,” she wrote on Weibo. She added that her videos are not intended to be educational. Mrs. Yeah’s YouTube channel has 11.7 million subscribers who watch Zhou cook in unusual ways, often using office equipment. she has Grilled meat on the filing cabinetAnd the Weave cotton candy on an electric drillAnd the Fried food inside a coffee pot filled with oil. Ms. Yes did not respond to a request for comment.

Apart from this incident, Reardon shed light on the illegal infiltration of eggs that left a number of injured. There are tens of thousands of YouTube videos About boil eggs in the microwave, many of which are user-made. Putting eggs in the microwave can cause them to explode, and researchers have found that microwave yolks are average 22 degrees Fahrenheit is hotter of water in the microwave. In the past three years, many people in the UK have set themselves on fire while trying to do so.

Deaths or serious injuries from craft and cooking scams are still relatively rare. But fractal wood burning is different.

Reardon first learned of fractal wood burning after a Wisconsin couple died Try the craft in April. But this practice has been common for a number of years. The American Woodworking Association has counted 33 U.S. deaths from fractal wood burning since 2016, but the total is likely higher, because the organization only counts deaths that made the news. a 2020 A paper prepared by doctors from a burn hospital in Oregon found a 71% mortality rate after accidents involving wood burning with fractals; The paper’s authors described this rate as “amazingly high”.

In May 2020, construction worker Matt Schmidt was electrocuted while trying to burn firewood in his garage. His wife, Caitlin Schmidt, a nurse at the time, was on the job, and it was her eldest son who found his father’s body.

Leave a Comment